Chinese Braised Pork Belly
1kg Skin on Pork Belly
1 tsp PRB Superior Dark Soy Sauce
5 tbsp PRB Superior Light Soy Sauce
10 tbsp Tiger Tiger Shaoxing Wine
2/3 cup of Wing’s Brand Fried Shallot
2 Pieces East Asia Star Anise
2 tsp Five Spice Powder
2 Supreme Cinnamon Sticks
5 Slices of Ginger
6 Cloves of Garlic
2 Litres of water (use less water if your pot/wok is air-tight)
Pak Choi (optional)
- Cut the pork belly into strips about half – 1 inch thick. Marinate it with 2tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp of shaoxhing wine. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat up your wok. Add in your pork belly without oil and stir-fry over medium heat.
- Once the bottom of your wok is a little burnt, you can now add the remaining shaoxing wine, remaining soy sauce, ginger, garlic, rock sugar, star anise, cinnamon sticks and five spice. Stirring constantly until the sugar melts.
- Pour in the water, add the fried shallot and 1tsp of dark soy sauce for colour.
- Bring it to boil. Lower the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1-2 hours depends on how tender you want.
- After 1-2 hours, turn the heat to high, do not cover. Start reducing the sauce, stir it occasionally to avoid burning.
- You can turn of the heat when the sauce it getting thick and the sauce is almost gone.
- Best serve with rice and pak choi on the side.